1 Day Trek: Bamboo
After picking you up, and giving you a short presentation at our foundation headquarters in the heart of the countryside, our guide will take you on a journey through the forest, visiting a number of traditional hilltribe villages, and taking a deserved break at a local waterfall. Lunch will be cooked on the trail, using traditional methods.
In the afternoon, you will learn about how versatile bamboo can be when utilised by locals - it can be crafted for most needs, is used in cooking (as fuel AND ingredients), construction, and everyday life.
- Visit our foundation
- Visit our eBannok Handicrafts shop (Open Mon-Fri)
- Chat about the programme
- Trek through national forest, passing through Ahka and Lahu villages
- Includes cooking a traditional forest lunch using bamboo
- Visit a local village to learn about the versatility of bamboo
- Walk to a remote waterfall
- Pickup and return to Chiang Rai
Although we recommend a minimum of two people in a group - to reduce costs, but also so you have someone to share the experience with - we occasionally have requests from solo travellers who wish to book a tour. As our tours are private, the group would consist of the individual and our guide. We no longer offer to add a solo traveller to an existing group.
Solo travellers unfortunately have to pay a higher price as we have a number of set costs which we cannot reduce. This means that the per person fee is higher than the per person fee of a booking for 2 people.
- Select the date you wish to begin your programme
- Select the number of adults in your group
- If there are children, check the box and then select the number of children by age
- Once completed, the total price will appear at the top of the box
- Click 'Book Now' button
- Fill in the information fields
- Only required fields are necessary - First name, Last name, Email
- Add a username and password to access your private details
- Fill in the personal information for every group member, including children
- All fields are required
- Check the 'I confirm to read...' box
- Click 'Book Now' button
- Choose your payment method - check to see when the deposit must be paid by
Please note, we do not confirm any bookings without a deposit payment.
All our treks and tours require a deposit payment
The balance must be paid in cash on the day of the programme (Thai Baht only)
Below is some basic information to assist preparation for your day tour. For more comprehensive information, please visit our main 'preparation' articles.
What to bring
You don't need much when you join our one trek day programmes, but continue reading to checklist the items which will make your experience more comfortable.
- Sun cream
- Insect repellent
- Water bottle
- Money (small notes) to buy local handicrafts
*Malaria is not an issue in this region, but there are cases of Dengue Fever from time to time. We recommend using insect repellent, and top up throughout the day.
What to wear
Dress for comfort and practicality when you join our one trek day programmes - continue reading to checklist the items which will enhance your experience.
- Trekking boots - covered shoes such as trainers are advised as a minimum
- Long sleeved tops and long trousers (protection from sun and thorny grass)
- Comfortable and cool clothing
- Please note, we have a dress code which we ask you to respect
- Wide brimmed hat
- Pack waterproofs during rainy season (approx June-Sept)
Passports & Insurance
It is important that we receive your passport details, before your programme start date. Without these details, we are unable to begin the adventure.
The passport number, and each individual's full name, are used to organise accidental insurance cover for your trip. Also, for overnight stays, we must send these details to the immigration office before departure.
You can enter the information into your form, at any time prior to the day your trip begins.
Wherever a foreigner stays for a night - whether it's an hotel, guesthouse, or even private home - the owner of the residence must, according to Thai law, send details of the foreigner to the immigration office within 24 hours.
As we run a homestay programme, we act as locum for the villagers.
We must receive all passport details (full name, and passport number) of each person in the group. Until this happens, we cannot begin the programme.
Our accident insurance coverage also requires that we send the company the passport number and full name of everyone in the group.
We don't need photocopies, or even to see the original passport - just put the passport number and full name of each participant into our online form, so that you are insured in case of accident.
If you have any concerns, please email us to discuss the issue.
Pickups & Drop offs
We pick you up, and drop you off, anywhere inside Chiang Rai city, for free. This includes the new bus station (#2) and the airport, which are both located slightly outside town.
However, for other locations outside the city, we may charge an extra fee to cover costs. Fees vary from 200THB - 3,500THB depending on the distance from town. When the pickup location is chosen (via the 'My booking' menu item), you will see additional costs appear if relevant.
Accommodation located outside town can also impact on the pickup and drop off times, collecting you earlier and dropping off later - this is so that none of the itinerary is lost or cut short.
We no longer arrange pickups from Chiang Mai
To avoid extra charges, and early pickups, we strongly recommend staying in Chiang Rai city the night before your programme begins.
You can book a room at Baan Pordeedin Guesthouse - our social enterprise project - in town.
Our guides were trained by us, and each holds a TAT guide licence (Tourism Authority of Thailand). We also taught them English (one speaks Japanese too), which helps them to converse with the guests during the trip. But please understand that the standard of language varies - English will be at least their 3rd language, after their tribal and Thai language.
The guides were born and raised in the villages in our programmes, so you can be sure that the information you receive from them about local culture and tradition is authentic - many travel agencies and tour operators use Thai guides who have no firsthand knowledge of the hilltribe communities. Our guides are encouraged, once they have experience and self-confidence, to work for themselves or other agencies, whilst still freelancing for us.
- While we do everything we can to keep the itinerary as advertised, we reserve the right to change without notice
- Weather conditions may force route changes or removing an activity for safety reasons
- The guide may shorten or lengthen the route according to the wishes, fitness or ability of the group
- A community may be holding an event which will impact the programme's schedule.
Need help booking? Talk to email@example.com
- Pickup and drop off in Chiang Rai town*
- Tuition fee
- Filtered water
- Tools and materials
- Emergency medical insurance
*Accommodation outside town may incur an extra charge
- Surcharge for Pickup/drop off outside Chiang Rai town
- Snacks and drinks
- Extra options added to the basic tour
- Tips and gratuities
Deposits are non-refundable unless we are unable to take the booking. Cancellations by guests do not incur any penalty other than loss of deposit.